Monday, February 20, 2012

Wondering About George



The legend is that George Washington cut the cherry tree with his new hatchet. When questioned about it by his father, he was said to have replied: "I can't tell a lie, Pa; you know I can't tell a lie. I did cut it with my hatchet."

I wonder what the cherry tree legend makes children wonder about today. I doubt that today's children would be likely to wonder about spanking. Spanking used to be considered a good way to discipline a child. Attitudes have changed since this postcard was published. Now spanking is discussed as "corporal punishment in the home," and it has been outlawed in many countries. Spanking is still allowed in the United States, but it is a lot less common than it was in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Times Have Certainly Changed....Even The Word "Spanking" Sounds A Tad Dubious These Days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the cherry tree story is even mentioned in schools these days? I'll bet it got tossed out along with the spankings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...