Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine & Love Stamp



The Valentine postcard above show a little girl at a post office stamps window. She says she is good at waiting, but she would have had to wait about 50 years to buy a Love stamp from the United States Postal Service. This postcard was made by Whitney and is one of the cards that I included in the Little Sweethearts Vintage Valentine Postcards video I made today.

The United States issued its first Love stamp in 1973. The postcard below shows the second U.S. Love stamp, issued in 1982. This is an oversize postcard from a set issued by USPS for the 25th Anniversary of Love stamps in 1998. This stamp used flowers as the elements of the letters in LOVE. The letter "L" is formed by the miniature red poppy; the "O" by painted daisies and "Johnny-jump-ups" (miniature pansies); the "V" by the cornflower or bachelor's button; and the "E" by coral bells.





This is a post for Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog




6 comments:

  1. Lovely choice of flowers on the pretty stamp postcard. I will now stop going awww after watching your Little Sweethearts video, nice cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a lovely stamp. I wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize these Love stamps had been around for so long!
    Yours is so pretty and spring like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stamp though it took me a while to see that it was spelling out "love".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...